Wednesday 3 April 2013

April 3rd – 292,338 words written.

Well today was another quick day. I guess I like writing dialogue and action scenes, or should I say dialogue/action scenes? One or the other, as I’ve managed to output 2,945 words today in a little under 75 minutes. So that’s even faster than yesterday. I wish I could bottle this and sell it as a productivity tool, but I can’t. I can’t even explain it fully, either.

A couple of authors have explained this kind of phenomenon better than I could, so here’s the links. One is to an e-book: http://www.amazon.co.uk/2k-10k-Writing-Faster-ebook/dp/B009NKXAWS which is short and sweet, but also cheap (99c) so I’d recommend it for that reason. It also gives some very good advice about the self-edit process. The link above is to the UK Amazon site, please switch to your own local site to purchase.


Both authors have one theme in common, organisation. You have to organise your writing time in order to be able to write fluently and effectively. In their case they tend to organise round a specific writing slot in the day. Factors in my life, mean I can’t do that, but I do find a slot at some point in the day to write and for that time I’m also very organised.

I’m often being asked how I do this, or for that matter being told I’m “bonkers” or even worse, but I hope these two links I’ve just given you will enable you to understand how I do it, how I’m not alone in doing it, and maybe give you some pointers as to how to do it yourselves.

Happy writing.

PS. Just to clarify, I don’t actually know either Rachel Arron or Karen Woodward.

2 comments:

  1. I'm honored you found something helpful in my post. You've made my day!

    What a wonderful goal, writing 1,000,000 words in a year.

    I've subscribed to your blog and will be rooting for you, although it looks like you're well on your way.

    Congrats and best of luck! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouragement, Karen. Much appreciated. As they say in the theatre, "break a leg" on your own writing.
      David

      Delete