Friday 12 April 2013

April 12th – 320,242 words.

Health wise both of us are continuing to improve, so today I’ve felt less lethargic than I have done for the last few days, which has been good news given how much work I’ve got to do at the moment.

I did find time to drop in on the laptop on three or four occasions, resulting in a reasonable 3,084 words done, taking me ever closer to that 1/3 of the way to completion of the task. This book is now well north of 40k and I’m only half way through the material I’d intended to put in it. I can only hope it doesn’t expand any further. I persuaded Paulette it could be a trilogy, I don’t want to have to go back and tell her, actually it’s now four books not three. I’m not sure of the reception I’d get.

Still and all, I’ve managed to keep going, keep writing and it is certainly habit forming. I look forward to my sojourn on the keyboard now, irrespective of how easy or difficult the next scene will be to write.

I’ve been looking at, and talking to a couple of other prolific authors, I’ve mentioned a couple of them in the past, and comparing notes as to how to get this kind of productive spell started, and how to keep it going.

The answer, unanimously is targeting, whether it’s “get this book written in the next six weeks” or, as I do, “write more than 2,740 words a day, every day”, or just write “10,000 words a week”, the target is immaterial – it’s all about what works for you.

Coming from a highly structured numbers background, for me keeping track of the numbers is my motivating force, but to be fair, I’ve now invested with the desire to finish each book, and then start the next fresh idea bubbling in my head.

I’ve had another one of those too, a cracker, and I’m trying hard to hold off and write that down tomorrow, just to get a couple of the rough edges rounded off in my mind first. The problem is, I’m also looking forward to writing the ad hoc dinner party scene which is chronologically next in the current work in progress – if I can persuade the heroine to get out of the bath first, lazy madam!

No comments:

Post a Comment