Saturday 2 February 2013

February 2nd – Passed the 100k barrier

Today is going to be a busy, non-writing day, so I snatched the early part of the morning to get things done instead.

I managed just short of 2,500 words on my current WIP today, and a further 650 odd on the author newsletter. That takes me through the 100,000 word mark up to 101,611 words.

Today my son-in-law is coming round to help me fix the porch light fitting, I can’t stretch my arms above my head due to the shoulder problem so can’t even manage to unscrew the damn thing to fix it. It’ll probably only take us two minutes to get it done, and it makes me feel really down on myself that I can’t do something so simple on my own – something I’d have done without thinking about just a few months ago.

I’m also somewhat annoyed by news this week. The government have finally announced the route of the new HS2 rail link between London and Manchester and Leeds. This is something that is long overdue, for the country that invented the railway we are a long way behind the rest of the world. However, and it’s a big but, the route of the line comes within two hundred yards of where I’m sitting typing this. This house has been a quiet haven in a quiet neighbourhood for the 24 years we’ve lived here. The idea of 200+mph trains whistling past at frequent intervals doesn’t sit that well. The only advantage is, the first section of the line (London to Birmingham) won’t be finished till 2026 and they won’t start this section of the work till after that. A lot can change in 13 years, and who knows, we might well have moved out before then. If we move out, I want that to be at our behest, not forced out by noise pollution. I’ve never been charitable toward the NIMBY movements in the past, now I have to ponder if I’m going to become one.

No comments:

Post a Comment